BUFFALO, N.Y. — Firefighters believe a man trying to dry his sweater on a heater caused flames to break out at an apartment on Rose Street.
The man was the only one inside. He was able to make it out safely.
Smoke and flames spread from the first to second floor.
Firefighters say it was hard to get the fire under control because of the apartment's narrow paths.
"You happen to have much in there, it shortens the ceilings for us. Literally, we were walking through piles that were three and four feet high. Makes getting out extremely difficult," said Division Chief John Mogavero, Buffalo Fire Department.
Firefighters say the contents are a total loss.
YNN Buffalo: Apartment fire sparked by clothing on heater
Time Warner Cable video customers:
Sign in with your TWC ID to access our video clips.
To view our videos, you need to
install Adobe Flash 9 or above. Install now.
Then come back here and refresh the page.
Fire officials say a welder's torch caused a garage on Virginia Place to catch on fire just before 1 p.m. Friday. The flames then spread to the second floor.
The garage is in a tight area and is surrounded by several buildings.
The call was upgraded to two alarms as a precaution.
Damage is estimated at $100,000.